Here is it! Here is how you can get the best fish buy. It’s pretty simple actually just 6 things to try out. But first if you are looking for uncommon fish varieties there’s no need to travel in exotic countries just to see them!
Check out Navotas market in Navotas City Philippines!
Navotas fish market, or Navotas Fish Port Complex is 30 minutes away from the cities of Manila and Quezon cit and Caloocan and can also be reached via Roxas Boulevard.
The fish port was build in 1973 to 1976 with 88 million pesos loan from the Asian Development Bank.
Thousand of buyers regularly come to Navotas to get their fish requirements. According to traders, more than 20 commercial fishing vessels unload at the port complex at least 800 tons of fish and other marine catch daily.
Anyway, back to topic. Here is how you can get the best fish to buy.
1. Look at the eyes of the fish and check if it is clear. The eyes is its window to its freshness.
2. Check the color of its gills – it should be deep red or sharp maroon.
3. There should be sticky liquid-like mucus coming from its mouth; this is fish saliva. But be skeptical; some vendors just use okra to fake it.
4. If the fish has scales, they should be clear and glistering.
5. Gently press the body of the fish. If it goes back to its original form and does not sag when released, then it is a good catch.
6. The stomach of the fish should be intact. Fish with broken stomachs were most likely caught by dynamite fishing.